Making life easier on your travels
Using debit and credit cards abroad
- Most debit card providers will charge a foreign purchase fee of up to 2.99%.
- Credit cards are widely accepted overseas, look out for the Visa and MasterCard logos. Exchange rates are set by Visa and MasterCard, and can change every day.
- When you use your card abroad, you can sometimes pay in sterling rather than local currency. Paying this way is often more expensive than paying in the local currency as there could be a local charge.
- Whichever card you use abroad, register it for travel. Let us know online, over the phone or in a branch that you're going away at least 24 hours before you leave and we'll do our best to make sure none of your payments are blocked.
- If your debit card is contactless, you can use it abroad like you can in the UK. Just look for the contactless symbol. Limits can vary when you’re abroad.
It's nice to know where you're heading
Using cash abroad
- Cash is accepted everywhere, from food and drink to taxi fares. Sometimes it’s good to have cash on you, especially if you’re travelling off the beaten track.
- Getting money from a cashpoint abroad can come at a cost. You’ll most likely be charged a Non-Sterling Transaction Fee and a Foreign Cash Fee.
- Tourists can stand out to thieves, so always be alert. Try not to take more cash with you than you’ll need, and use your hotel safe whenever you can.
- Keep your cash safe when you’re out and about. You can split it across different places like your wallet, a secure bag and a money belt.
Download our app and register your holiday plans
Our mobile app is secure, easy to use and convenient. And it can help you keep track of your spending while you’re away.
With our app you can:
- Check your balance
- View your transactions details
- Register your travel plans
Our app is available to Online Banking customers with a UK or international mobile number in specific countries.
Frequently asked questions
You can report your debit card as lost or damaged and order a new one using our mobile app:
- Log into the mobile app
- Choose the account that you need a new card for
- Select 'Manage my card'
- Then choose 'Report lost or damaged', followed by whether your card has been 'Lost' or 'Damaged'
- Complete the details and submit
You can also log on to your Online Banking.
You can get a copy of your travel insurance policy here or by calling us:
Silver Account - Download a copy of your Silver account Travel Insurance policy (PDF 167KB).
Platinum Account - Download a copy of your Platinum account Travel Insurance policy (PDF 316KB)
Black Account - Download a copy of your Black account Travel Insurance policy (PDF 296KB)
Select Silver / Reward Silver: 0345 601 5219
overseas: +44 1252 308 792
Select Platinum / Reward Platinum: 0345 609 0453
overseas: +44 1252 763 658
Black / Reward Black: 0345 6017 188
overseas: +44 1252 308 794
Minicom: 0345 600 0512
Open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm (excluding bank holidays).
If you intend to use your personal debit or credit card abroad it is best that you let us know. Telling us in advance that you're travelling will notify our transaction monitoring systems you will be using your debit or credit card abroad. This will significantly reduce the likelihood of your transactions being blocked.
If you are signed up for Online Banking, you can log on and register the details of your trip yourself by completing the online form. It only takes a few minutes.
All you need to do is select 'Cards' from the left hand menu and register your travel plans in the 'Using your card abroad' section.
For debit cards select ‘Register your travel plans for your debit card ‘and for credit cards select ‘Register your travel plans for your credit card’.