Claims Management Companies
Information about Claims Management Companies
A Claims Management Company (CMC) is a business that offers claims management services to the public. Their services consist of advice of services in respect of claims for compensations, restitution, repayment or any other remedy for loss or damage.
We are committed to making the complaints process as simple and fair as possible. It is easy and free of charge to make a complaint directly rather than using a Claims Management Company (CMC). We treat all complaints in exactly the same way therefore there is no advantage in using a CMC.
CMCs may charge you a fee, up to 20% + VAT of any possible compensation in order to handle your complaint. The Royal Bank of Scotland Group will not cover any charges you may incur as a result of instructing a Claims Management Company to act on your behalf.
Comparison of a PPI Refund of £3000 – complaining directly and complaining using a CMC (which charges a fee of 20% + VAT)
- If you complain directly (without using a CMC), you will receive 100% of your refund - £3000
- If you complain using a CMC (which charges a fee of 20% + VAT) you will receive - £2,280
- You will receive £720 less when you use a CMC (which charges a fee of 20% +VAT) instead of complaining directly
The Legal Ombudsman (LeO) is an independent and impartial scheme set up to help resolve legal service disputes with formal powers to investigate and resolve Service Related complaints about Claims Management Companies (CMCs).
If you are unhappy with the service, you have received from a Claims Management Company then first please register your concerns directly with the company.
The CMC has 2 days to acknowledge receipt of your complaint and has 8 weeks to investigate your complaint.
If after 8 weeks, no response has been received or you remain unhappy with the CMCs response then you are eligible to refer your complaint to the LeO – which is free of charge.
LeO aims to resolve complaints within 3 months of the date the customer confirmed the details of their complaint.
How to contact LeO
- Website: www.legalombudsman.org.uk/cmc
- Phone: 0300 555 0333 (between 8:30am and 5:30pm)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post: Legal Ombudsman, PO Box 6804,Wolverhampton,WV1 9WG
For more information, please visit legalombudsman.org.uk/faqs