Moving out of your student house | NatWest

Moving out of a student house

Once the excitement of graduating university has eroded and you are faced with the stress of moving out of your student house, the daunting prospect of entering the 'real world' comes into focus. Here at NatWest we're looking to support graduates as they make the transition from being a student.

Giving notice of your impending departure is not only courteous on your part but also a means of ensuring you keep any legal obligations. It is best to keep a copy of the written notice that you give to your landlord. If your fixed term agreement has run its course, then generally you don't have to give notice. However, some agreements require notice to terminate the tenancy at the end of the fixed term, therefore it is good practice to inform your landlord and date it for extra security.

If you are leaving your student house in a good state, then of course you should receive your deposit back from your landlord. If you have an assured shorthold tenancy and paid a deposit on or after 6 April 2007, your landlord or an agent acting on their behalf, must protect it in a government-approved tenancy deposit protection scheme.

If you are renting a shared property you are all jointly responsible for its condition when you move out, although the degree of joint liability can vary depending on the type of tenancy agreement you’ve signed. Therefore, make sure the house is clean, tiday and if there is an inventory for household goods, that it is in acceptable order.

Make sure you prioritise paying off your final student bills before you leave university or college as unpaid bills could hurt your credit rating. Not only this, but your landlord may holdback returning your deposit until you can provide written proof that all utilites are up-to-date.

It is very worthwhile contacting your local authority with any forwarding address so you can be placed onto the electoral register. Your bank and phone provider will also need to be informed.

Top tips - moving out of a student house
Give notice
Pay off final bills as a student
Clean the house
Request all deposits back
Tie up loose ends
Leave a forwarding address

Important information
An overdraft is a form of debt. Over 18s only.
Our NatWest Graduate Account overdraft is repayable on demand.
If you agreed an overdraft limit with us as a student, this will carry over to your Graduate account.
Find out more about overdraft costs

Overdraft Calculator

Get savvy with your overdraft.

Use our Overdraft Calculator to see how an Arranged Overdraft can help save you money.

Get started What is an overdraft?

Set Tab for lightbox