Renters Contents Insurance

Renters Insurance

Whether you are renting a property, or a student living in halls of residence, our product can be tailored to your specific needs

 Choose between £5,000 to £25,000 to cover your contents (in increments of £5,000)

Choose from our optional add-ons to cover accidental

damage and also your personal possessions when you're away from home

No additional cost for paying monthly (Subject to eligibility and credit agreement. Credit facilities: Over 18s only. Representative 0.0% APR)

Underwritten by U K Insurance Limited 

Important documents to read and save/print before applying:
How we use your informationLegal information and our What you need to know (PDF, 60KB)

If you would like a quote, please select ‘Get started’ below

If you have any questions about your existing policy, please contact the telephone numbers shown on your policy documents.

How our fixed price policy works
The price of your cover is fixed for 2 consecutive renewals, subject to you renewing annually. The fixed price will end if we make a claim payment. If Insurance Premium tax changes, or you make an amendment that affects the premium, the subsequent renewal premium(s) will remain fixed at the new price for the remainder of the fixed price period. Underwriting criteria apply.

Quotes are valid for 90 days.

Get started

Our Contents insurance takes care of the finer details, and with the price fixed for three years, it's one less thing to worry about

You can really relax with our home insurance cover. When you take out a policy with us, we’ll fix the price for the next two renewals, so you’ll know exactly what you’ll be paying. 

For full details of cover, any limitations and significant exclusions, please view the policy booklet and Insurance Product Information Document (IPID)

Renters Core Cover Details

Sum Insured - The total amount of your contents cover
Cover Level: £5,000 - £25,000 (in increments of £5,000)

This is the maximum amount you can claim for costs of repairs or replacing your contents if an insured event happens in your rented home. Renters Insurance does not cover your contents in your rented property’s garden.

Downloaded content - purchased digital contents
Cover Level: £1,000

Up to £1,000 to cover the cost of replacing content that you have bought and downloaded onto your home computer, mobile phone or other portable entertainment device if it is lost or damaged.

Contents - no deductions for wear & tear
Cover Level: New for Old

For any item of Contents that is lost or damaged U K Insurance Limited will decide to either:

- Replace or repair the item/part
- Pay the cost of replacing or repairing the item / part up to the amount it would have cost to replace/repair using their own suppliers
- Make a cash payment

Money in your home

Cover Level: £500

Up to £500 to replace money that is accidentally lost or stolen , including cash, cheques and vouchers

Alternative Accommodation

Cover Level: 20% of contents sum insured

If your home is unfit to live in following a valid claim you’ll have cover up to 20% of your chosen sum insured to cover the costs of:


- Comparable alternative accommodation for you
- Kennel fees for your domestic pets
- Storage for your belongings


This will only be paid if it's not covered by another insurance policy – for example, your landlord’s policy

Optional Extras

Accidental damage - cover your contents against accidents

Cover Level: Optional

Cover for accidental damage to your contents in your rented home. Accidental damage means physical damage to item/items that happens suddenly, unintentionally and unexpectedly.

Personal Possessions cover – for your possessions when you’re out and about

Cover Level: up to £2,500 (optional cover)

Cover for accidental loss or damage to your personal possessions you wear or carry with you when you leave your rented home. For example, this includes valuables, electronic equipment, sports equipment and bicycles.


You’ll be covered in the British Isles, overseas (for 60 days in total in any one policy year) or while your possessions are stored in bank or safe deposit box.

Legal protection - legal security for you and your dependants

Cover Level: up to £100,000 (optional cover)


Cover up to £100,000 for legal expenses and costs to defend legal action taken against you. This includes costs for disputes with your landlord regarding your tenancy agreement to rent your home (excluding disputes arising from rental charges or tenancy renewal).

For full details of cover, any limitations and significant exclusions, please view the policy document. 

Alternative options:

Need more cover or cover for your rented home’s garden? Click here to see all your Contents cover options 

What you need to know New customers – read before you apply

Please make sure you've read the following information before getting a quote, and also save/print the what you need to know about our insurance services document.

You may need Adobe Reader to view some of these documents. Get Adobe Reader. Visit the Adobe accessibility pages.

Monthly payments. Subject to eligibility and credit agreement. Credit facilities: Over 18s only. Representative 0.0% APR.

NatWest Home Insurance is underwritten by U K Insurance Limited who are authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Financial Services Register number: 202810.

Set Tab for lightbox