Foundation could be the right option for you
If you aren't eligible for one of our other bank accounts, then the Foundation account may be the right option for you. It’s a basic account designed to help you manage your money.
Some of the features of our Foundation Account include:
- No monthly fee
- Check your account 24/7
- Visa Debit card
- Use of our Mobile Banking app
You can't apply directly for the Foundation current account. We may offer it to you if we think it might be more suitable during an application for one of our other accounts.
- The best way to proceed if you want a simple bank account is to apply for our Select bank account, which also has no monthly fee, and has an option to apply for an Arranged Overdraft. It also comes with a contactless debit card.
- You may be successful in your Select application, or if we think Foundation would be more suitable, then we will offer this to you during the application process.
Why the Foundation account is more suitable for some customers
If you've encountered difficulties with money before, you may not be eligible for a number of our bank accounts.
However, you might be offered the Foundation account if:
- You have little or no credit history
- You’re going through bankruptcy
- You give us incomplete or inaccurate information when you apply
- You have a low credit score
We know that managing personal finances can be difficult, and improving your credit score is not always easy.
If you're concerned about your finances, you may wish to seek advice from a financial professional, while sites like the MoneyAdviceService can also be a great source of impartial help.
Open a bank account online
Upload your ID
Get ready to apply
Before you apply, we need to check you're happy with a few things. And ask you a few questions up front. Then we can make your application as quick and simple as it can be.
First things first. You can apply for a Select account if you:
- are aged 18 or over and a UK resident
During your application, we'll make it clear if you don't meet the criteria for a Select account, and you will then be offered a Foundation account. If we don't mention the Foundation account, you can continue with your application for a Select bank account.
Now please take a look at the important legal info
If you carry on applying, it means you're happy with what's in these documents, including the FSCS information sheet. And happy to view your statements in Online Banking - not posted. Please take some time to review, print and/or save the important information.