Court of Protection | NatWest

Caring for vulnerable relatives Managing money for a Protected Person

If the protected person holds a bank account with NatWest, you will be able to ‘restyle’ this account to reflect your deputy status.  Doing so will enable you to take control of the existing accounts and operate them on behalf of the Protected Person. To do this, visit your local branch of NatWest and ask to complete an ‘Add New Party to Account’ form.  If the Protected person is not an account holder with NatWest, we are able to open a new deputy style bank account for you to assist you to manage their affairs.  You will need to take the following documentation:

- The original sealed and embossed court order appointing you as
   Property & Affairs Deputy
- 2 forms of identification - find out the approved identification in the
   link below

The branch will then send your paperwork to the designated court of protection team for your application to be processed.  We will let you know directly if they require further information regarding your case and inform you once the process is complete.

Alternatively, you can call us on 0345 303 3031 (Minicom 0800 404616) and a member of our will be able to help you.  Lines are open Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm.

Acceptable identification
Court of Protection Some common questions
Set Tab for lightbox