Student guide to insurance | NatWest

Student guide to insurance


When you consider that many students now own smartphones, tablets and games consoles as well as their laptops and pc's, it's worth taking the time to look into insurance.


You might be able to extend your parents' home contents policy during term-time, but this isn't always the case.


Student Unions often have information about insurance companies that have products to suit students’ needs. And some student halls of residence include contents insurance in their costs – it always pays to check.


Seven top tips for student insurance

1. Don’t assume your possessions will be covered by the family home insurance policy, halls of residence cover or your landlord’s insurance. Check the cover provided by any of these existing policies and if none are suitable, consider a student orientated insurance package.

2. Check the terms and conditions of any student orientated insurance package to make sure you have the level of cover you need and you won't come unstuck by any small print. For example, a claim you make may be refused if you haven't locked the door to your accommodation.

3. Make sure any items like bicycles, course equipment and specialist goods that you want cover for are specifically highlighted to your insurance company, as cover may need to be purchased for an additional premium.

4. Expensive items like musical instruments and electrical goods might need to be listed separately on the policy, so you should check the limits of cover for each item. 

5. If you're remaining in your property outside of term-time, make sure you check the period of insurance as some policies only cover term-time.

6. If you're living in shared accommodation, each student will be responsible for their own insurance policy.

7. If you're planning on taking a car to university, you need to be properly covered with car insurance. Contact your insurance providers and make them aware you're going to be living away from home.

Student and tenant contents insurance

Monthly payments. Subject to eligibility and credit agreement. Credit facilities: Over 18s only. Representative 0.0% APR.

NatWest Home Insurance is underwritten by U K Insurance Limited who are authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Financial Services Register number: 202810.


Add your signposting title here… Student and tenant
contents insurance

Whether you’re a student living in halls of residence or rented accommodation, Renters Insurance can be tailored to your needs. 

Choose between £5,000 and £25,000 to cover your contents and choose from optional add-ons to cover accidental damage and your personal possessions you take out with you. 

How our fixed price policy works
The price of your cover is fixed for 2 consecutive renewals, subject to you renewing annually. The fixed price will end if we make a claim payment. If Insurance Premium tax changes, or you make an amendment that affects the premium, the subsequent renewal premium(s) will remain fixed at the new price for the remainder of the fixed price period. Quotes are valid for 90 days. Underwriting criteria apply. Underwritten by U K Insurance Limited.


Find out more about Renters

Set Tab for lightbox