Managing credit card fees and charges
What are the main fees?
There are three main fees:
- A late or missed payment fee (or default charge) of £12 applies if you're more than one day late paying your monthly bill.
- An over limit fee (or default charge) of £12 applies when you go over your credit limit.
- A returned payment fee of £10 (£5 on the Reward Black credit card) applies when you don’t have enough money to make a payment.
You could get charged more than one fee at a time. Interest is charged on every transaction made on the card, until your balance is paid in full.
How could I avoid paying fees and charges?
- set up or change a direct debit to make a minimum, fixed or full payment on time every month
- view and manage your pending payments, due payments and statements
- make sure you have enough money for due payments
- use the spending budget tool to monitor your spending (available in the app only)
App available to customers aged 11+ with compatible iOS and Android devices and a UK or international mobile number in specific countries. Online Banking available to customers aged 11+ with a NatWest account.
What’s my minimum payment?
The minimum amount you need to pay each month is shown on your statement. We encourage you to pay more than this, to clear your balance more quickly and pay less interest.
Go to our repayment calculator to work out how long it could take to pay off your credit card balance.
Struggling to pay?
It’s really important you get in touch, the sooner you call us the quicker we can help. When you do, you'll be speaking to dedicated colleagues who are here to support you and discuss your current situation.